Easter

Reed’s Spring Break was last week. This gave us extra time to do all of the traditional Easter preparation.

We had an Easter Egg Hunt in our backyard with our friend Sammy. Reed ran to find the first egg with such excitement, then he reached for it, and…….. haphazardly tosses it into the air. He immediately moves on to the next one. Not what I had in mind, but fun I suppose.

Fiona was more on target; she put eggs into her basket, but was easily distracted by flowers and the like. After all she is my daughter.

With one of his competitors not even collecting eggs and the other playing with ants,Sammy, with ease, became the winner of the Woodland Easter Egg Hunt. --Rock On Sam!

The past few days Fiona has requested more Egg Hunts. I throw the empty eggs around the yard and she collects them, counts them and tells me their colors. It’s a pretty relaxing game,so, the Egg Hunts will continue until she tire's of them.

The traditional tradition of coloring eggs was not forgotten. For the first time they both were very into it. Although, I’m certain anything that will dye their fingers various colors is always a hit with the kiddos. The days that followed found the kids peering at the eggs, counting them, recognizing their colors as well as the proper owners. This is the stuff that made me want to become a mother.

A unique tradition passed down from Ryan’s mom is to decorate an Easter Tree. It’s a branch with little Easter ornaments on it. I love this tradition! We decorate the tree with the same decorations Ry used growing up.

The Easter Bunny left clues that led the kids to their baskets and other treats. My sister Tammy was always so good at creating word and number puzzles that revealed the next clue. It would take all day to find our baskets. The anticipation made it all the more special. I had to adapt this one a bit given the ages. The Easter Bunny left photo clues, revealing where the next treat was. And, how they thanked the Easter Bunny.

Growing up my mother would prepare a big feast for Easter and all holidays. I assumed that when I became a wife and mother I too would prepare a large meal for the holidays.

I’m married and a mom now, I realize this is NOT fun. It actually takes all the fun out of the holiday for me. I’d much rather sit around and play as a family than, shoo off children as they wrap themselves around my legs while I cook a meal they will only have a few bites of. The preparation alone is at least a day’s work. Then, to sit and eat for 15 minutes only to turn around and spend the next hour cleaning up and the next week eating the same left over’s. I'm exhausted just typing the process.

No, I do not think this is for me. I know some people really like to cook a big dinner. I think that is great!, crazy, but, great! The same as what I think about mother’s who say they love being pregnant. I think that’s great!, crazy, but great!

I’ve broken the tradition of a home cooked feast. We went to CD Café, had a bottle of wine and a delicious lunch. We smiled, we laughed, and we left. That was a perfect Easter meal.

Perhaps, I shouldn’t think of it as breaking a tradition but rather, starting a new one. I would like to include a visit to the beach as a new Easter tradition too.

With my arms around the love of my life, I watched Reed play a game with the waves. Showing off his agility, he ran as close as possible to the lapping water without getting wet. Fiona worked diligently to rid the beach of its sand. By the handful, she threw the grains into the water. As I watched her attempt this impossible task, I thought of my house work. It too just doesn’t end, so, I wonder, why not relax and let the dirt and sand build up and call it a beach house?

Here’s a slide show of our Easter 2009.

Comments

Nancy C said…
Seeing my kids play by the beach is almost a sacred thing.

I just can't get enough of it.