About You

Reed,

It was late at night on a Thursday. Daddy arrived home to our little cottage on the Island from a soccer game.

As I waited for him to get out of the shower, I sat on our lime green couch rehearsing the lines over and over to calm my nerves.

Smelling clean and fresh, Daddy sat next to me. He gave me a look that said, "you can press play. Are we going to watch the movie or what?"

I was about to lose my nerve. Instead, in a shaky voice I said something like, "I came up with a new verse to our lullaby, do you want to hear it?" Of course he was curious and this is what I sang:
(It's Alright for now by Tom Petty)



Goodnight baby sleep tight my love
may god watch over you from above
tomorrow i'm working what would i do
i would be lost and lonely if not for you


so close your eyes
we're alright for now


i've spent my life traveling
ive spent my life free
i could not repay all you've done for me


so sleep tight baby, unfurrow your brow
and know I love you
we're alright for now


Goodnight Ryan, i've news for you
we're having a baby
i hope it looks like you.


And that's how Daddy happily found out about you.

Comments