Veteran's Day



Today we made an attempt to show our patriotism, only to have the parade rained out.

We still visited the memorial in the town square. With patriotic music playing over speakers I began to read the script out loud, to ears that paid little mind. I wanted cry. An uncomfortable feeling washed over me. A mixture of pride, sadness and respect all rolled into one knot in my throat.

In my opinion one of the most somber movies out there is Saving Private Ryan. I get that same uncomfortable feeling while watching it. It weighs on me for days. "Earn this" rings in my ear.

I try to watch it once a year either on Veteran's Day or Memorial Day. When the kids are old enough I'll have them watch it too. I hope they get the same feeling I get.

War should be uncomfortable. Knowing so many have made the supreme sacrifice for us to live in America as we know it, that there are Moms raising young families alone, Soldiers coming home with PTSD, their life no longer theirs. All of these scenarios and millions more make me feel uncomfortable because I am truly grateful and can not begin to say thank you properly.

Comments