Some of my favorite days are built on spontaneity. 
They always seem to lead down a road to great places...like The Great Ocean Road.

Last minute we decided to head to Barwon Heads Beach to meet some friends.
I felt well prepared with a picnic lunch, extra sets of clothes, sunscreen and jackets. 
Fiona asked about bathing suits.  I told her it was still a little too chilly for swimming.

We arrived, looked out onto the beach.  
Immediately the Sesame Street tune "one of the things doesn't belong here" played in my head.
  We were out of place and we hadn't spoken a word yet.  
There we were, fully dressed looking at a beach filled with bathing suits. 
Spring, you pulled a fast one on us!
But I'm glad you're here.



After a picnic and play we hopped back into the car.  We were feeling adventurous and decided we weren't ready to end our day.  We quickly  grabbed 2 more sets of clothes at a thrift store and hit the Great Ocean Road.

I wish I could describe the beauty around every bend. To the right green hills with wild kangaroo. To the left surfers bobbing in the blue ocean, its waves lapping sandstone bluffs. I wish I had the words or a perfect picture for you to get a sense of  the landscape. You'll just have to come and see it for yourself.

Time constrained us to only driving a portion of the road.  We have big plans for a less spontaneous long weekend trip to complete the 243km trip .   In total we hit 5 beaches and went through 4 outfits. We arrived back home with 2 sleeping children wearing the only clean clothes left, my and Ryan's shirts. 


Here's a bunch of pictures of the family enjoying spontaneity.






We love our beach races







I imagine this being Reed in 20 years.
I know we ended up in Australia for many reasons. Some I will never know, others time will only tell. There's a part of me that wonders if one may be to introduce Reed to the world of surfing.  He has ALWAYS loved waves and now is intrigued by surfers. 


a cheers over dinner





don't you love my face?
we were feeding the ducks and look who came by with his gang



Going down "Roller Coaster Road"
This was before we hit the thrift store.
Fiona's wearing Ry's shirt, Reed's wearing mine.
Imagine it dark, kids sleeping and you have a picture of our return trip.




"mom, do you know why she has a sad face? because it's time to go" 
I have more pictures I want to share but I'm tired and have a long day tomorrow.  
Ryan came home tonight and asked if we want to go for an overnight trip tomorrow. 
Another spontaneous trip?
I'm in!
We're headed to Ninety Mile Beach.  
This time we'll bring our bathing suits.

Comments

Muliebrity said…
Amazing, Trudy! I can't even imagine how surreal it must be to be living on the other side of the planet. You are making some amazing memories.