Lately the kids have been asking us a lot about what we were like when we were their age.
Their curiosity reminded me I've always intended on using this space to tell some history about us.
So here's a short story about me when I was just a young lass.


When I was about 8 I had a swim instructor I absolutely adored.  She was going off to college and I wanted to buy her something special.  With the little saved money I had I headed to Slavins, the local drug store.  I looked through the small dusty section in search of the perfect gift to let her know how much I cared and would miss her. 

After what felt like hours of scouring the shelves I finally made a decision.  I chose the perfect gift that expressed my sentiments and even tied in the sporting aspect of our relationship. 
She Was Going To Love It!

Excited, I it brought home and showed my mother and teenaged sister.
Immediately my sister burst out laughing.
My mom did her best to contain herself but eventually joined my sister in breathless laughter.  

Before I go any further I should mention my instructor was a little on the chubby side.  She wasn't big, just plump enough that she might have been a little self-conscious.

The gift I bought was a wax figurine of a pig in workout clothes with drops of sweat running down her face.
   The front of the pigs shirt read:  "I'd Rather Be Eating"

The rest of the day I sulked around the house occasionally justifying my choice to a sibling,
" I meant I'd rather be eating than see you go". 

Comments