Yarra Bend Park

Isn't it beautiful?
Are you wondering what those masses are hanging from the trees?
Here are some closer looks.








They're Grey-headed Flying Foxes!  There are about 40,000-50,000 literally hanging around Yarra Bend Park.  At dusk they all wake up and leave their roost for their nightly feeding.  It's an amazing sight.

You'll have to forgive me for all these batty photos.
I just couldn't help myself.
Also for the grainy shots.  I don't have the proper lens for this type of photography.



They were diving close to the river to get a gulp of water.

I find them absolutely adorable.






Here's a video of them throughout the evening.  As the sun gets lower and lower you can hear they get progressively louder.  You'll also hear the same goes for my munchkins. 




An interesting bit of information...  The emergence time of adult males depended on their social status: smaller bachelor males emerge from the colony earlier than larger harem-holding males who guard their harems until the last female has left.

 We spent half the night looking up.


The other half playing with Daddy by the Yarra River.


It was a fun family night, one I highly doubt we'll soon forget.

Comments