Farwell to Tuck

One morning as I was making pancakes I heard the strangest sound.  I looked around to see what I possibly could be banging up against to make such an odd noise.  Nothing I could see, so I carried on.  Then I heard the kaaaw sound again. {forgive me it's a tough sound to replicate}  I asked the kids what they were doing to make that noise.  Nothing? No worries.

The next morning I let the chooks out of their pen for the day.  Tuck looked right at me, stretched her neck and "kaaaw". Chickens respiratory systems are really delicate so I worried that maybe she was sick.  Later that day I made sure their pen was absolutely clean.

The following morning this is was I heard...

For the past month as the sun barely poked her head up, Tuck has gone to town waking up the whole city.  It's not just one crow but one after another after another.  She'd do it all morning long.  Each morning I'd lay in bed waiting for a knock at the door from one of our neighbors or worse an official looking person. We're not allowed to have roosters in the city for this very reason and our neighbors are very close. Luckily they're very patient too.
Sunday the kids and I brought our beloved Tuck back to the farm from which she came. 
 We were told she is a hen, but a bossy one who wanted everyone to know she was top of the pecking order.
Of course the only box we had to transport her was a beer box.



We told her how much we loved her and said our farewells ten times over.
  Fiona broke my heart when she said to her, "Tuck I will always remember you and how much I love you, goodbye"  and she blew her a kiss. 
 We saved one of her long tail feathers as a memento our girl.


I was a proud mum when the farmer mentioned how well taken care of she obviously was.


She was my favorite.
  Always following me around everywhere I went. {because even she knew who the top hen really is}
  It's a sad time for me. 
 I know it's just a chook but she was our chook and I really did love her.

 Tuck as a baby chick

Now that she's gone Flower Jingle has stepped up as top hen. 
 Monday morning she started to make that familiar "kaaaw" sound.
  It's been 2 mornings now and she hasn't gone full on so fingers crossed she's figured out that it's not going to fly in this house. 

We love & miss you Tuck Woodland
The End!

Comments