{Welcome to Australia}

I came home on Saturday and found this as soon as I walked in.


My friend gave me a lift to the hospital where I met up with Ry and the kids.  As soon as I saw a tear-free Reed just relaxing with frozen vegetables on his head the jitters and knotted stomach I had the entire ride (only ~8 minutes) dissolved.  He was okay.

A couple of hours later he had tissue glue on his wound. (what a great alternative to sutures)

 Ryan waited in line to pay. Because we're not permanent residents we don't have a medicare card which is a total bummer.  The universal health care system here is fantastic.  Typically when we visit the doctors we have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from our insurance.  That said, what we pay out of pocket is about the same amount we would pay as a co-payment in the states.  That alone says something about the health care system state side. {I really should write a post comparing the US, Canadian and Australian health care systems, from my point of view, because they are all drastically different.} So Ryan asked the women at the counter what we owed.  She chuckled and said, "Nothing, just go home"   

My friend, who waited with us int the ER, said with pride, "Welcome to Australia!"

~ Well it's great to be here!

*The story behind the cut...
Reed was sitting on the floor, Fiona ran into him knocking him into the computer chair. 
 Ryan called Dial A Nurse. (we love Dial A Nurse) 
She told him Reed needed stitches and gave him direction to the nearest hospital.

I tried to take a picture of Reed and his cut but lately he just isn't having it.
 Silly boy, doesn't he know I will eventually get something.


Sunday Fiona's friend James called to say hello and to see how Reed's head was doing. 
She asked Reed and reported back that he's doing well.
  She read James the letter she had just written to Santa
 and they gabbed away for a few minutes.

My little girl is growing up.
How do I make it stop?

Which reminds me...
For the past month or two Reed will frequently ask me not to pack him a lunch.
It's been a mystery as to why.
I'd explain that he doesn't have to eat it but I have to pack it.
I can say that because
Reed enjoys healthy food.
 I know he will eat everything in his lunchbox with the exception of a couple of cookies I may toss in from time to time.

The mystery was solved on Sunday.
As Ryan was tucking Reed in to bed Reed asked, If I eat food it will help me grow, right?
That's right buddy.
I don't want to grow old Daddy, please don't let mommy pack me a lunch.

My heart is broken.
What 6 year old doesn't want to grow up for fear of growing old?
This is not a subject we've ever harped on,
 I don't remember ever even having discussed it with the kids.

Reed has so many worries beyond his years.
He's an old soul with a heart of gold.


Comments