Footy Day

 The last day of term ,Friday, was Footy Day at school.
Australians take their Aussie Rules Football pretty seriously.
As you can only imagine we're lost in this arena.
Nonetheless, my kids were going to participate in the fun day.

I brought them shopping for their team's colors.
Actually their teams became their teams because of their colors.

Fiona liked the blue and white scarf so she's now a Geelong fan.
Reed liked the brown and yellow so he roots for Hawthorn. 
{I too have adopted the Hawthorn Hawks as "my team"}

It was great to see all the kids schoolmates decked out head to toe in their colors.
It's in such moments I remember we are far from Packer and Patriot country.

We're in a land of footy, cricket & netball.

 I realize my babies are becoming Aussie.
Beyond their word choices or arguments as to how a word or name is pronounced.
The subtle cultural differences that are apparent to me are normal to them.
We talk about the differences but so often I feel like I'm telling them about America as if they've never been there. 
 Especially Fiona, she doesn't remember living in the states. 
 Heck, I'm still working on her understanding we're not Canadian. 

I look forward to bringing them home to refresh their memories 
and
 buy them each a New England Patriots shirt.


If you're in the city on a game day, 
you'll know it.
The fans walking the streets wearing their team's scarf is a dead give away.

Comments